ELLAKTOR Group seeks to develop projects that are growth drivers and help improve peoples’ quality of life, in the areas where it operates, and to evolve into a dynamic and consistent player enhancing and disseminating sustainability on all levels.
Sustainable development pillars
In 2019, the Group commenced the process of detailed recording the performance of its companies in relation to sustainable development, which in conjunction with the results of the materiality analysis that are outlined below, led to the redefining of the Group’s strategy and mapping of its sustainable development priorities and targets throughout all its companies and activities.
At Group level, the following four sustainable development pillars were defined:
Group Strategic Priorities and Targets
Having identified the main sustainable development priority pillars, the Group proceeded with defining the topics per pillar, for which short-term (2020) and medium-term (2022) targets were set in order to monitor the Group’s impact and progress. The targets that were set in 2018 have been redefined and integrated in the Group’s new target and activity plan.
The main targets for the next year and for 2022 are presented per pillar and topic.
Medium-term targets (2022)
Ethical business practices
- Align the Group’s Compliance System with the guidelines of ISO 19600:2014.
- Develop an anti-bribery management system and obtain certification in accordance with ISO 37001:2016 for ELLAKTOR and AKTOR CONCESSIONS.
- Develop a Group donation (monetary or in-kind) and sponsorship policy.
- Develop an anti-bribery management system and obtain certification in accordance with ISO 37001:2016 for all of the Group’s main companies.
- Perform training for 100% of the Group’s employees on regulatory compliance issues.
Management of information and personal data
- Complete Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA), where applicable.
- Develop an information security management system and obtain certification in accordance with ISO/IEC 27001:2013 for ELLAKTOR.
Procurement management and cooperation with suppliers and subcontractors
- Implementation of a Group Procurement Policy.
- Establish centralised procurement.
- Develop and implement detailed systematic recording and traceability of the Group’s purchased materials and services.
- Integrate sustainability criteria in the evaluation process of significant suppliers, partners, and subcontractors.
Sustainable Development Strategy
- Establish key performance indicators for all of the Group’s material issues.
- Develop a three-year plan including measurable improvement targets and sustainable development initiatives per segment.
Policies and procedures
- Develop and implement a central management system for policies and procedures.
- Conduct a stakeholder engagement survey to record and evaluate stakeholders’ needs and expectations on sustainable development issues and subsequently incorporate them in the Group’s materiality analysis.
- Develop and implement an annual stakeholder engagement plan relevant to Group’s key stakeholders.
Employee health, safety and development
Medium-term targets (2022)
Enhancement of company culture
- Strategically align the vision, mission, values and behaviours which represent the Group’s culture.
- Develop a Human Resources policy.
- Analyse results from the Employee Engagement Survey and develop actions in order to improve results.
- Implement initiatives for the adoption of a uniform Group culture and values throughout the Group’s activities and companies.
- Create and implement an Employer Branding action plan.
- Implement Employee Engagement Survey every two years.
- Complete Training plan for all Group employees.
- Develop an online training platform.
- Systematically record the trainings conducted at project and activity level.
- Complete the development of the Leadership Training Academy.
- Perform Reskilling and Upskilling for executives in order to acquire necessary skills for the transition to the digital age.
Evaluation and development
- Evaluate the performance of 100% of employees working at the Group’s Head offices and managerial positions in projects/activities, in accordance with the new evaluation system.
- Develop an employee potential evaluation process.
- Evaluate 100% of Group employees’ performance.
- Implement a “360 Feedback” evaluation process for division/department/project managers.
- 75% of promotions to be covered through the internal employees’ potential evaluation process.
- Establish a retirement plan for all Group executives.
- Develop a procedure for employee rewards in the form of bonuses.
- Increase the number of benefits (e.g. restaurant coupons, awards to employees with long tenure, etc.).
Attracting new employees
- Participate and support events that connect young people with the labour market.
- Develop an internship programme for university students.
Increase of diversity
- Record and assess existing employees, with respect to gender and age.
- Develop a plan targeted towards increasing gender and age equality in the Group’s workforce.
- Develop a programme that will enhance employees’ well-being.
- Organise a voluntary blood donation event at the Group’s Head offices.
- Develop an employee volunteering action plan.
Strengthen occupational health and safety culture at all levels
- Develop and implement a Group Occupational Health and Safety Policy.
- Assign a Health and Safety Manager for all of the Group’s companies/projects/ activities.
- Assign a team for the investigation of accidents and near-misses per segment and develop training material based on the results of the investigation.
- Develop and implement daily 15-minute safety sessions for all of the Group’s projects and activities, where supervisors discuss and disseminate safety messages, with the participation of all employees working on projects.
- Develop and implement a procedure for on-site inspections of projects/activities regarding safety issues, by management executives.
- Develop initiatives, such as Safety forums, Safety Champions and awareness campaigns for all Group projects and activities.
Training on Health and Safety
- Train all executives and employees in managerial positions on occupational health and safety issues.
- Carry out training on technical issues in all Group segments by certified bodies.
- Systematically monitor and record the trainings carried out for employees hired by subcontractors.
Health and Safety inspections
- Increase audits of subcontractors.
- Conduct internal audits for 60% of the Group’s projects.
- Conduct internal audits for 100% of the Group’s projects and activities, annually.
Monitoring health and safety performance
- Implement Monthly Safety Reports and a Health and Safety Inspection List for all Group projects and companies.
Medium-term target (2022)
- Automate Human Resources’ procedures, as well as site and supplier reports, which require significant handling of paper and physical presence for signatures.
- Implement and operate Management Reporting applications.
- Automate building management procedures.
- Install Document Control software in the construction sites of large projects.
Enhance remote working
- Utilise video conferencing and interaction software on specific projects, in order to ensure that remote working can be carried out.
- Develop business continuity management system for the Group’s critical operations.
Low carbon economy
Medium-term targets (2022)
Increase of investments in RES
- Strengthen RES portfolio by increasing the number of wind farms, photovoltaic parks and biomass exploitation projects.
Contribution to circular economy
- Improve recovery rates of recyclable materials in treatment plants.
- Further increase the number of investments in innovative waste management technologies.
Monitoring performance on environmental issues
- Implement a uniform methodology regarding the monitoring and record of environmental performance indicators.
- Monitor and record the performance of 100% of Group projects/activities in Greece.
- Monitor and record subcontractors’ environmental performance.
- Conduct on-site internal audits for 33% of the Group’s projects/activities.
- Develop a tool that will enable the remote audit of Group’s projects/activities.
- Develop an Environmental Management System and obtain certification in accordance with ISO 14001 for ELLAKTOR (RES segment) and HELLENIC QUARRIES accordingly.
- Conduct on-site internal audits for all Group projects/activities within the 2020-2022 period.
Training and raising awareness on environmental issues
- Train all employees based at construction sites, on environmental and energy management issues.
- Establish an annual training and awareness plan on environmental and energy issues for all Group employees.
- Implement bird monitoring programmes in significant biodiversity areas, where projects/activities are located, especially during the birds’ breeding season as well as during the spring and autumn migration periods.
Our Commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals
The Group has adopted the United Nations 2030 Agenda, represented by the 17 Sustainable Development Goals for 2030. The Group’s priority is to achieve the goals that are directly linked to the activities and challenges specific to its segments of operation, and to the material topics arising from its operation.