Aiming to enhance its sustainable development strategy, the ELLAKTOR Group conducted an analysis of the material topics relating to its operation, which also reflect the most significant impacts of its activities on the wider economy, society and the environment.
Identification of material topics
The Group identified 21 material topics related to its activities by reviewing the following:
- International and sectoral sustainable development standards such as the GRI standards and the GRI Construction Sector Supplement, the SASB standards and the ESG Reporting Guide of the Athens Stock Exchange
- Sustainable Development Reports of peer companies
- Publications from the last three years (2017-2019) related to the ELLAKTOR Group and its subsidiaries
- Internal documents (e.g. policies, strategies, management systems, operating standards, etc.)
- United Nations Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Principles of the United Nations Global Compact
Evaluation and prioritization
Senior members of the parent company’s and subsidiaries’ Management were invited to evaluate and prioritise the 21 material topics based on the following criteria:
- impact significance (positive or negative) of the topics on the wider economy, society and the environment and consequently, on the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- impact significance (positive or negative) of the topics on the ability of the Group and its companies to fulfil their business targets, or on their reputation.
- highest priorities and future challenges of the segment.
- In this context, 7 workshops were conducted, where representatives from the Management of the Group’s companies participated. During the meetings, the material topics that pertained to each company were evaluated and the results were verified by the Group’s Management and the Group’s Compliance and Sustainable Development Committee.